Monday, December 13, 2010

Arts and Craft Show Blog and Review (Blog #8)


Blog #8
12/12/10
Blog and Review of an Illinois Arts and Crafts Show
Professor Purdy

            Over Thanksgiving break when I went back home to Chicago, Illinois and attended an arts and craft show.  The show was held at a hotel and resort in a suburb of Chicago.  The hotel and resort was called Pheasant Run, and the show was held inside their convention area.  The reason why I went to the show was because my mom and sister always go to any type of arts and craft show in the chicagoland area and they come back from each and everyone and they tell me all the cool stuff they found and how I would have liked a lot of the things on display.  My mom and sister usually go to these shows and they come back with only a couple of things and I wondered why they would go only to get a couple of things.  My sister told me that she likes to go to the shows to get more of an idea of what other people are doing out there.  She then takes their ideas and attempts to make them her own.  I thought that this was definitely a cool idea, except for the fact that I am not really interested in arts and craft.  However, she is good at making her own ideas from other ideas and she has definitely made me some cool stuff as well.  Therefore, when my mom told me that they were going to attend another show I sprung at the opportunity to check out what these shows are all about.  We got to the show and it was not close by any means, about forty-five minutes away, and when we walked in I thought you just go out and start looking at all the tables set up.  Boy was I wrong!  You have to pay five whole dollars just to get into this thing.  I thought that was pretty funny, but I got passed that and then had an open mind going into look at, I’d say about a hundred plus different tables.  After going around and looking at every table I found some things that I liked and a lot of things that I did not like at all.  One of the things I liked the best there was the cool golf yard game that these two guys there had invented.  It is a take-off of corn hole and it was pretty cool, but very pricey.  On the other hand, there were so many things that I hated at the show.  Mainly the things that I hated the most were the pointless photography works that people had done.  Basically they took a picture that anyone in the world could take; photo shopped it a little bit, and then put it in a frame.  It was so pointless it made me upset.  Also the other things I hated were all the tables that had tacky little nick nacks, like jewelry and all.  Overall, there were a lot more bad tables then good and I ended up walking out of the show only buying one thing.  I bought beef jerky that I still have not eaten.  All in all it was a good experience to have, but I doubt I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment